Update is 6x the size of what comes on the disk! WHY?!

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
JD2000

Update is 6x the size of what comes on the disk! WHY?!

Postby JD2000 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:36 pm

4.5GB update
0.75GB on disk

So I didn't kickstart because there was no choice of physical copy (too much value there), and knowing there probably would be come release. But now, after purchasing, and finding out the update is 6x the size of what comes on the disk! I feel absolutely suckered. What do you even get on the disk? Is it playable without the update? Etc. Because you won't be able to get that update forever. These sort of massive updates that are quickly becoming common practice are not okay. And I expected different from this company. Is this all some conspiracy to get people to go digital?

:(

ontels

Re: Update is 6x the size of what comes on the disk! WHY?!

Postby ontels » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:14 pm

All games nowadays are like this. It's because there is only so much data you can store on a disc.
Pagies in cagies

JD2000

Postby JD2000 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:04 pm

ontels

Postby ontels » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Having most of the date off the disc was probably just more convenient/cheaper.
Pagies in cagies

Hopix

Postby Hopix » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 pm

It's probably because of the cost involved in manufacturing and distributing all those 50gb discs...

JD2000

Postby JD2000 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 am

Seriously? Is that a joke? It has nothing to do with cost, or convenience. :roll:

the8thark

Postby the8thark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:40 am

The issue is not the update itself. That's fine. With big games like this you have deadlines for the disc to go gold, but work on the final game still goes on, hence a day 1 update.

The issue is years down the track when you want to play this ans re-install it, will the patch still be around on a server somewhere so you can download it and play the game?

Alph

Postby Alph » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 am

That's what I wonder about a lot of modern gaming. What happens when the Wii U/3DS servors go down and all the DLC content is no longer available? Will new players have no way of playing as DLC characters in SSB4?
Will we lose access to Pokemon Bank, and thus the ability to transfer pokemon from previous generations? Will the Xbox 360 and PS3 servors eventually go down, rendering most of their games buggy messes for new players who haven't already downloaded the various performance updates?

I just hope the servors stay up until I'm too old to care.

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 am

I was wondering if all the updates will be included on the cart when (if?) Playtonic get physical Switch versions of the game produced when the Switch version is finally finished. Like how they said they'll release the N64 shader mode and the orchestral music as updates, but if the Switch version isn't finished yet then does that mean all that extra stuff might come as standard on the finished Switch version?

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”