Not Been Excited About Games For Years. Till Now..

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
CaptainJJ

Not Been Excited About Games For Years. Till Now..

Postby CaptainJJ » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:49 am

Growing up I was hooked on every Rare title that came out. It all started with Donkey Kong Country. The graphics and colours just blew me away.

By Donkey Kong Country 2 and Killer Instinct I was totally in love and didn't care much about any other games apart from those by Rare.

When I wasn't playing Rare games, I would draw my own game level ideas and characters. Developing video games was what I wanted to be when I grew up. Rare inspired my imagination and made my childhood awesome.

After becoming a fully-fledged adult, getting a girlfriend and eventually moving in with her, games took a less preferential time slot in life. When I did have time to play, it would be the GTA series, Metal Gear Solid and COD etc - all the games you'd expect a guy to play these days. While fun and totally awesome games, nothing really got me excited like the old Rare games did. Sometimes I don't even turn my console on for weeks (ehem months). I thought it was just the fact I wasn't a kid anymore. That kid grew up and didn't play games with fluffy characters (seriously why is Angry birds so popular?? And don't even get me started with Candy-Crush!!!).

I'm a fully grown dude and when I play, I play man games and wait... what did you say..? Project-What now? Ukulele.. OMG this sounds so f-ing awesome.
Can a year or two just skip by so I play this game right now please?!? I so hope I live long enough to play this game -_-

For the first time in maybe 10-15 years I'm really excited about a video game again. A Banjo-Kazooie type game is exactly what the world (and I) needs right now.

Viva Playtonic Games! You guys made my childhood and now you've gone and made my adulthood a little more fun!

Exaskryz

Re: Not Been Excited About Games For Years. Till Now..

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:48 pm

I am also excited for this game in a way I haven't been for 7 years. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was the last game I got hyped over because of how much time I spent on Melee (thousands of hours).

I hope I'm not overhyping it, but having not beaten Banjo Kazooie in my childhood and only beating it a few years ago and seeing just how great of a game that was over a decade from its release, I have no doubt Playtonic can make this live up to my expectations.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

hazy

Postby hazy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:22 pm

i totally agree!!

not only has this sparked my interest as a game but my love for this type of game too!!
Fully grown adult myself with a young son who also loves to play games, so this is perfect for us both to enjoy. the only problem being i want this now and i am being put through the torture of my youth being drip fed teases!
That being said i wouldnt have it any other way, i am gripped an thrilled they have branched out on their own an done this.I hope for nothing more than for them to regain old friends or new ones on the same wave length to grow like an epic team of old and bring back another golden age of fun gaming!!

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 am

i'd say this & a hat in time have me the most excited! (i was excited for super smash bros but then they cut a bunch of characters from brawl & left out a lot of melee characters & now not only can i not play as them again but ill never have the joy of having a bunch of scalpers buy there amiibos up so i cant have them T.T ill NEVER be excited for a new smash EVER again only FEAR only FEAR of who may be cut next T.T)

lankykong422

Postby lankykong422 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:47 am

I've definitely still been gaming over the last 2 console generations, but it was a shame having my favorite genre completely missing (3D collection platformers). What other fan base had had their favorite genre completely disappear? Looking forward to Ukulele, Lobodestroyo, A Hat in Time, and the Conker game in Spark. It's a good time be a 3D platformer fan. I'm sure Ukulele will be worth the wait and will live up to the great platformers from the N64 days.

Hellmouse82

Postby Hellmouse82 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:57 am

I too have missed the glorious days of platforming. Haven't owned a console for three years, if project ukulele is multi platform that would be awesome. Would make my choice of machine much tougher though.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:01 pm

The PSWii60 era. The dark times.

noahcopeland44

Postby noahcopeland44 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Amen. I've haven't been this excited about a game in years!

Seriously, how did we let the 3D Platformers fall to the wayside while all these genaric brown-palette shooters rose to the top? SOOOOO glad that Playtonic is going to resurrect the 3D Platformer. It's been long overdue.

why? because it's awesome. that's why.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:04 pm

People are starting to get tired of photorealism, and wanting to play more stylized games.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:37 pm

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:23 pm

polomi

Postby polomi » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Altanore

Postby Altanore » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:44 am

Here I thought this genre was now R.I.P thanks to the likes of FPS games these days. Glad I was wrong!

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:53 pm

Platformers are my second favourite genre, so I have to go back to older consoles to enjoy good ones. Now that this is happening I can't wait.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 am

After I saw the description of the team and heard their goal, I got so excited. I definitely want to back their kickstarter for sure. I really don't play any new games at all... I don't have the money for new consoles... but even if I did, the lack of 3D platformers (and 2D ones) keeps me from wanting to save money specifically for these systems. I was able to save enough money for a computer, so I'm really hoping for a PC release of the game, for sure. If they want to release it on other consoles, maybe a few years down the road when I can afford the systems (I stick to retrogaming; it's cheaper that way), I'll buy a system specifically for this game.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”