Wii U GamePad

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Lupo

Wii U GamePad

Postby Lupo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Aloha,

I think it pretty much goes without saying that PU will most likely be coming out on the Wii U now. One of the main features of the Wii U is, of course, the Wii U GamePad. In the past, it has been used in an array of creative ways... however it seems that these creative ways aren't seen as often.

My question today is how you think Playtonic should use the GamePad for PU? Or perhaps you think it should be limited to make porting the game to other consoles a tad easier?

What do you think?
Leon

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

Mofologist

Re: Wii U GamePad

Postby Mofologist » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Make it simple and just port it/if there is a map, use it as such. Also have it to display our collectables since this is what is hugely focused in PU. So we can enjoy the beauty of PU without any UI on the tv.
Fellow game developer designing a 3D platformer...a hint of the character is my avatar!

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 pm

I'd be happy with being able to play the game solely on the gamepad, that would also avoid porting issues.
DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:05 am

Being a multiplat really takes away from the possibility of truly supporting the second screen. Being an always-open start screen seems like a good option to monitor level progress and time spent in the level. But I'm also totally in favor of shoving all of the UI icons like ammo and health and collected items down to the gamepad as an option.

No-TV play should be an option, no matter what they go with.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean I am stalking your every move, determining my next course of action...

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:55 pm

As much as I do want it to come to WiiU, I'm also a fan of less intrusive gimmicks. Use the gamepad as an option for gameplay (as in gamepad only) and maybe as a totals screen while playing on the TV. Please no gimmicky controller shaking or gamepad waving, etc.
Make the forum great again.

Lupo

Postby Lupo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:56 pm

I'd be fine with off-tv play & moving HUD symbols to the gamepad. But please, NO MAPS! And not only not on the gamepad, but nowhere! Maybe there should be a separate thread for this. A map will somehow destroy the exploration aspect of the game. You should discover the worlds with your very eyes & don't just run from one symbol to another...

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm

It really sucks that most developers haven't taken good advantage of the gamepad. It would be epic, if Playtonic added an option to use either some unique Gamepad+TV mechanic, or simple button layout in an awesome minigame for example.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm

Edit 2: MFW this was a bump and not a new thread and I've already commented here with pretty much this. :roll: Oh well, leaving it.

First I think that gamepad-only play should be an option, but honestly, after that I would prefer to see the game pad relegated to a glorified info-screen.

Please don't do gimmicky touch-controls. Please no gimmicky hand-waving. It's always cute as an idea and obnoxious in practice. There's a reason the majority of control schemes involve using thumbs on buttons and not using sticks on screens. Even the games that do touch controls wells (Captain Toad) have the touch controls shoe-horned in.

And I agree, no maps.

Edit: One thing that I actually do like though (completely contrary to what I've just said above, I'm aware) is First-Person Look using the gamepad as the character's "eyes". It was really enjoyable in the 3DS Majora's Mask as well.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:54 pm

What if the Gamepad is used for a spiritual successor to the unused "Bottles' Revenge" mode from Banjo Tooie? The main player controlling the duo would play on the TV with a separate controller, while a second player on the gamepad would be able to freely move around the area and be able to possess and or spawn enemies to fight against the main player, or perhaps co-operate with the main player. Of course there would always be an option to change it back to Stat Display and Gamepad Only mode.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:56 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Good question. Id rather there be no gimmicks for a platforming game so id like the screen to display collectables, lives, completion etc things that we would normally have to pause to see, that would be nice.

karashata

Postby karashata » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:32 am

I think, since the game could potentially (and hopefully will) be multi-platform, the Gamepad would likely end up used as a status screen (instead of having to pause the game to bring up the status screen) and of course for off-TV play (with the status screen then being stuck on the pause screen). It should be relatively easy to implement something like that for the Wii U version than to implement any kind of Wii U-exclusive controls based around the Gamepad and its touch screen.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I thought they were looking into it.

Phineas Q. Phailboat

Postby Phineas Q. Phailboat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:12 am

I would like any Wii U gimmicks to be completely optional, or very tongue-in-cheek in their implementation. Fourth wall jokes about the puzzles wouldn't be a bad start.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 am

I had an idea earlier to include a Bottles Revenge styled multiplayer with the Gamepad's asynchronous gameplay. I think it could work really well and be very fun.

EDIT: Didn't see Waverunner's post. Great minds think alike.
The boss of all Yoshis

rocho

Postby rocho » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:03 am

Well for me off-tv play is something I would enjoy a lot and PLEASE let the gamepad mirror the audio directly because we sometimes want to play at night with headphones (and enjoy the amazing soundtrack this game will have) the gamepad makes this process very painless as its already wireless, just plug your headphones.

The other use I would like is first-person view on the gamepad screen 360 degree accelerometer with the chance to take photos for miiverse (just like Pikmin 3).

if the game uses an invisibility mechanic that needs to point the texture we would like to camouflage it may be cool to be able to just touch the texture on the gamepad screen (or with a mouse in PC) that may or may not make the game faster. it will depend on them how the game feels.

RikuKH

Postby RikuKH » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:23 pm

No gimmicks. Stats and off screen play only. = Most people = Boring people. An option to have a choice between the two control schemes wouldn't hurt. And if we had touch screen / motion controls to some part of the game as an option, the ones who use them would of course 1. have more fun and 2. have a more precise and fluid experience. And most platformers usually need to mix it up to not be dull games. I know it wouldn't please the simple minds, but if done right, it would impress a lot of people.

Waverunner

Postby Waverunner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:18 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”