Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
BadElf

Re: Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Postby BadElf » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:46 am

Mathouwa

Postby Mathouwa » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:07 am

i don't want a single LABYRINTH, if they put one, i hope its small and not timed.
the sandybutt's tomb from kazooie was actually fun because it was short and once you completed it, it was done, you didin't have to back to it again (unless you missed the jinjo :p ) .

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Actually, what I would like if they decided to bring back mazes is to step them up in terms of intrigue. Maybe put some trap doors that lead you to a secret room or something, or discover little notes and secrets that tell you more about the level. I think that would be a cool way to make those mazes exciting and less of a throwaway puzzle.

Billusio

Postby Billusio » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Got to agree with a lot of the previous posts on the back-tracking. Some is great. Finding that thing that you know goes with the other thing, that moment of putting 2 & 2 together, it's like crack to a player like me, but Tooie was excessive.

Please, no casual enemies that are purely there to slow you down i.e. Gruntbots. They were just an epic nuisance and you got nothing out of destroying them. Adding to that, NPC's that get in your way (residents of showdown town).

Vehicles (this could be controversial), but despite Nuts & Bolts, I don't think vehicles would be a bad thing for Project Ukulele. I enjoyed creating the vehicles in N&B, I HATED driving some of them. The physics were erratic, I really struggled to find the balance between weight, power and handling. So I DON'T want vehicles that handle anything like Nuts & Bolts, but I wouldn't rule them out completely. I'd class the submarine and space ship from Tooie as a vehicle, the plane, car & hovercraft from Diddy Kong Racing were all vehicles, the hover bike from Perfect Dark? All of them added to their respective games/tasks/levels/environments.

The only other thing I wouldn't like to have are vast, open spaces that you can't travel across quickly. I've covered more distance crossing Hyrule field than Mo Farrah's done on the athletics track. There are more creative ways to put distance between your goals. If there has to be an expanse of nothingness, give me the means to travel that's proportionate to the distance you want me to go AND make it fun. Everyone gets bored on long car journeys! Alternatively, give it a playable purpose. Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts. ;)

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:21 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I don't want any boring, tedious seperate collecting like in donkey Kong 64 where each character had their own collectables that couldn't be picked up by anyone else.

Two other things I don't want, vehicles or a wrench!

Rasmusic

Postby Rasmusic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Cars, DLC, Microtransaktions, Kinect and Microsoft! :twisted: :D :D
Yooka-Laylee HYPE :D

Listen to my music:

Pirulo

Postby Pirulo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 am

I don't want...

- Linear/plane levels
- Lack of challenge
- Low or even null punishment for losing
- Health regen
- A GTA-like mini-map with mission/objective markers
- Auto-saves
- Checkpoints
- Vehicles
. DLC
- Online elements on the main story mode
- A gym to improve the stats of the character
- Absence of inertia in the movements of the main character
- Poor physics and collision detection, specially when you want to interact with objects and part of the scenario surrounding the main path (ie: Jak/Ratchet series on PS2)
- Notes Nests (replace "Notes" for the Project Ukulele equivalent)
- Blocky/Badass character designs (eg: B-K: Nuts & Bolts)
- Cel Shading
- Generic item icons and numbers for collectables displayed on the HUD (eg: The Kore Gang)
- Too much fourth wall breakage
- A dull and weak villain, with no personality

twinspectre

Postby twinspectre » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:42 am

i don't want dumbed down gameplay , no hand holding , no linear , no regen health , no story focused game , no voice acting , no qte and also i don't want to be a Nintendo exclusive game.

Playtonic games bring me Old School challenging 3D Platformer and future games :)
can't wait for Yooka Laylee (PS4) :geek: :D :lol:

twinspectre

Postby twinspectre » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:43 am

can't wait for Yooka Laylee (PS4) :geek: :D :lol:

Marius

Postby Marius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 am

I do not want only one main gamemode, make more! Like, if you love collectathons, you could turn on the "Collectaton Mode" (DK64 <3) where there's even more stuff to collect, or just be able to disable the ones that arent important to collect.
"Just you wait until Bongo-kulele!" ~Grunty

Dasdingo

Postby Dasdingo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:54 pm

I think that pretty much of what I dislike has been already said here, but I would like to add a few things:

- First person shooter sections. I didn't enjoyed these FPS minigames much in BT, so I would prefer the game to stay 100% in the plataform genre like BK. Anyways, it's not like they completely ruined the game for me, but still.
- A theme park world in the vibe of Witchyworld. I know this will be a very unpopular opinion, but I found that single level to be very unsettling for some reason, even to this day. I remember as a kid avoiding that level the most I could, and everytime I re-played BT years after I tried to complete Witchyworld at 100% as soon as I could so I wouldn't have to revisit it. Ah well, I guess it's just me!

Nefnoj

Postby Nefnoj » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm surprised to find that I disagree with a lot of opinions here. A lot of people say they don't want a lot of dialogue or story, though I beg to differ, depending on how deep a story you guys intend. Banjo-Tooie had great character development, dialogue, and story, and I wouldn't mind more.

I also would really like backtracking... It gives me a sense of "I've accomplished so much since ___", while keeping each place fresh and new. Though I would like it obvious that when I'm at a certain part of the game, I'd need another tool from further on, otherwise, I'll spend an hour trying to find a way underneath a particular boulder that I need the Bill Drill to get through. MAYAHEM TEMPLE I'M LOOKING AT YOU.

Also, cheat codes, necessary. "An egg container followed by Jingaling?"

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:36 pm

LiverpoolFC

Postby LiverpoolFC » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 am

Things I don't want in this game:

1. Multiplayer: I just want a 3D Platformer that I can play solo, don't waste time and money adding a pointless multiplayer to it.
2. DLC: DLC is just a way for developers to grab money after the game is released. Just make the full game, take your time so it's 100% complete (no day 1 patches, or DLC 1 month after release.)
3. Microtransactions: Another attempt at money grabbing. It ruins the game experience. I just want a $60 game that I can pay for and then play at my leisure until the end of time, with no caveats.
4. Extra Integration: By this I mean motion controls, and other things of that nature. I don't want the game dumbed down for Kinect, or the Wii U Game Pad, Amiibos, etc. Just make game that you play on a tv with a controller.
5. Console exclusives: Make the same game for each console, so everyone is getting the same experience (that way no one misses out for not owning a specific console.) Don't exclude people just because they didn't buy a console just to play the same 3 games it keeps recycling.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:54 am

sipahi

Postby sipahi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:41 am

Hello, i would not like a empty game, full of things but without life, without soul. it's difficult to say and to create but this is very important.

i would be a bit disapointed if a level is only thematised by the snow, the fire or so on. this is when a moving scenario can help !! i do nt want a regular history, i want some little and some big surprises :)

i don't want a short game, i want a loooong game to play,like at leat 100 hours, only for the history, and more for all the secrets.

i don't want to many clue, i want to find by my self

i want to die, lol, not like in banjo kazooie nuts and bolts. if i do wrong, i die. that's all. i don't want an easy game. i want a good game. somtime easy, sometime difficult, sometime very, awfully difficult :)

i want to be happy, to be proud, i want to have an adventure :) a journey you say :)

ottake

Postby ottake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I wouldn't want a long introduction or excessive hand-holding.
I think people who say that they don't want story actually mean that they don't like having to wade through text or dialog, if you could have the story unfold while not stopping gameplay I bet noone would find it intrusive

John Enigma

Postby John Enigma » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

I don't want absolutely anything, ANYTHING related to BK: Nuts N' Bolts.

Project Ukulele is 3D Collect-A-Thon platformer. Not a muthafreakin' racing game.
"INSERT TO F***ING BOX!"

Preston

Postby Preston » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:16 pm

I don't want note nests,easy bosses,similar defeated bosses, an easy game, hand holding, too much back tracking in levels. For example terrydactle land where you have to change to a baby t Rex and then complete all the objectives of that baby, and then go to mumbo and change to a big t Rex and finally those objectives. I also don't want a short game, a boring villan, few amount of collectables, and the worlds to be too confusing.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”