So, it gets on Wii U. Which controller?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
ashthedragon

Re: So, it gets on Wii U. Which controller?

Postby ashthedragon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Off-TV for me, please. I never play on my TV, always using Off-TV.

DanBevis

Postby DanBevis » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm

ashthedragon

Postby ashthedragon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Rare

Postby Rare » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:53 pm

Hopefully Wii U Gamepad with off TV play and the Pro Controller. I'd love to have the GC controller as well but it seems Nintendo is limiting it to Smash Bros. only.

bearbuddy22

Postby bearbuddy22 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:22 am

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 pm

I only have a gamepad, but I can see a pro controller working out (despite knowing nothing about the gameplay).

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:55 pm

nicholas362

Postby nicholas362 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Wii U gamepad and Pro controller.

BetterThanYou

Postby BetterThanYou » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:43 pm

The gamepad, with the option to use another controller(s). The first person controls with the gamepad are amazing when used right. Just look at nintendoland, the Zelda and Metriod games in there are amazing. But i also expect this to come with the option to turn it off and change whats on the gamepad screen (UI's, off tv play ect.) for people who don't like it.

Unexpected

Postby Unexpected » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 am

If I were to play this game on the Wii U, I'd certainly use the pro controller over the gamepad in a heartbeat if it were possible. The Game Cube controller would be even better, but I doubt any games other than Smash will use that adapter, honestly :P

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:44 pm

Wii U gamepad with off-TV play, and the pro controller.

karashata

Postby karashata » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:49 pm

The Gamepad controller would have to be supported for sure, as it's the only controller anyone with a Wii U is guaranteed to have, but they could add an option to use a Pro controller instead for those who own one and would prefer to use it. I don't imagine they would end up doing anything extra special with the Gamepad's screen, most likely using it to display game stats in place of having to go to the pause screen, or for off-TV play.

For what it's worth, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has options to use the Gamepad or a Pro controller (as well as a Wiimote or a Wiimote and Nunchuck), and it doesn't use the Gamepad's screen at all except for off-TV play, so if Project Ukulele could use it to display game stats when not using it for off-TV play, they would already be better utilizing it than DKC:TF did.

On that note, I imagine a Wiimote and Nunchuck could also be added as an option for anyone who has them and would prefer to use them rather than the Gamepad, though that would depend heavily on what sort of controls the game ends up having and how many inputs are needed to control the characters and execute the various moves and such in the game. A Wiimote on its own would probably be inadequate for this game (though they did make it work in Super Mario 3D World, but that game also has fairly simple controls compared to what this game is likely to have).

RareAware

Postby RareAware » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Since I use a gamecube adapter to play Smash, I very much like the idea of Project Ukulele being compatible with it. Back before Microsoft bought RARE, I was looking forward to their games being on the Gamecube. Using a gamecube controller would be kind-of like experiencing what never came to be. :D

luzooie

Postby luzooie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:06 am

I am so happy to see that people really like using the Gamepad. I only know a couple of people who own a Wii U, and they tend to complain about the Gamepad - and the Wii U in general. My friends are gits, essentially.
I personally adore the Wii U, and I love, love, love the Gamepad. Playing Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD with the Gamepad was magnificent, in particular - having the ocean map and item screens there in real-time was just so good.
It'd be great to have the option to play off-TV just on the Gamepad, I'm sure I'd use that, but my ideal would be to have the collectibles listed on the Gamepad - I'm picturing Banjo Kazooie, you'd have your jiggies, Jinjos, notes, honeycombs, feathers, eggs, everything on the Gamepad screen while you play so you can keep track on the fly. Ah just thinking about all this is so exciting, I feel like a kid again. :D
I haven't used the Pro Controller much - I'm always Player 1 so I get the Gamepad ;) - but Pro Controller support kind of seems like it has to happen too. It'd just make sense.

noahcopeland44

Postby noahcopeland44 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:35 am

I'm picturing that it will support several controllers. The standard would be the gamepad of course. I don't see it using a lot of motion features of anything, because anything important would make it a Wii U exclusive. I think the gamepad should display the map and collectible totals (like Banjo's pause menu).

But I'd also like the Pro Controller. Then maybe classic controller pro.

why? because it's awesome. that's why.

Nefnoj

Postby Nefnoj » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:36 am

My vote DEFINITELY goes for the Gamecube controller. I'm such a controller nerd, if there's a weird controller out there, I will want to play every video game ever with that controller.

I feel like Playtonic might try some multiplayer, and NOTHING sucks more than not enough controllers... So I want every one on there: Gamepad, Gamecube, Classic Controller, Wiimote and Nunchuck, heck, even the sideways Wiimote could be good!

Something of controversy is motion controls: It entirely depends. For instance, for the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, that ruined it for me, because the game was shaped around motion controls. But for the port of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, I had a blast wiggling my wrist around like a madman. I think, if they were to do motion controls, it should only be used for a first person view and for basic wiggle attacks, both of which should have an optional button imput for when my wrists get tired, or when someone loathes it completely.

The Gamepad is also a great controller, and I hope they implement the touch screen, maybe as a map?

ottake

Postby ottake » Sat May 02, 2015 2:12 am

I'd be glad if they supported the Remote+Nunchuck, just as an option, without motion. Just stick + A / B and whatever they can sneak on the Z + D-Pad and such. It would be convenient and more economical for the co-op and multiplayer modes, even if it's not the most comfortable choice for everyone. Maybe map the camera rotation to the tilt of the Motion+? I'm sure they can work it out at least on a handful of the multiplayer minigames, just for accessibility.

Fuzunga

Postby Fuzunga » Sat May 02, 2015 6:59 am

Pro controller, of course, unless there's a very compelling reason to use the gamepad. I also find the Wii remote and nun-chuck combo to be very comfortable. It worked great while playing Super Mario Galaxy.

CHAINMAILLEKID

Postby CHAINMAILLEKID » Sat May 02, 2015 9:33 am

With the game releasing on so many platforms, there's really no reason to say "It shouldn't include motion controls because I don't like them."

Anyway, Basic gamepad integration is a must I think.
Off Tv, touch screen menus, etc.

I'm also still a big fan of wii remotes.

JayUK

Postby JayUK » Sat May 02, 2015 11:03 am

If the game is optimised for the Wii U then gamepad. As there are plenty of unique gameplay ideas a second screen provides, if its just gonna be used to display a map, i'd prefer to use the Pro Controller.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”