Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
RareAware

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby RareAware » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:48 pm

Picking a favorite world from Banjo Kazooie would be extremely difficult for me since it had so many great ones. As for Banjo Tooie, I would say Glitter Gulch Mine. The music was great and I loved to experience the following sequence of events:

1. Banjo walks past a hat on the ground.
2. A monster jumps up and yells "Yee-ha"!
3. Banjo punches the monster in the face.
4. Monster says "oh"!

Punksthetic

Re: Most favorite world from BK and Tooie, and most wanted themed world in Project Ukulele?

Postby Punksthetic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:02 pm

I think I'm generally against any level theme that is part of my everyday life. That's not why I like the Banjo games. I like them for the escapism. They take me to fantasy worlds and fill me with a child-like sense of wonderment... I don't think I can gain that from traversing a supermarket or a mall.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 pm

I think it would give the player another feel and perspective if it would be a supermarket/mall in a video game stuffed full of wacky anthropomorphic characters than in real life. It is the same thing if you watch a cartoon like Rockos modern life, there is a whole town including a supermarket, filled with such characters and watching it gives a completely different viewpoint than in the real life.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm not a huge fan of a supermarket or some stage like that. Something about it just screams boring to me - perhaps it was the fact the only fun I really had in the supermarket was from running with the cart and then jumping onto the back of it and riding it.

Even in Toy Story 2 I didn't like the scenes at the supermarket even if they tried their hardest to make it entertaining. But Andy's (and Sid's in One) house, and the chicken guy's apartment, and the airport, all of that was interesting.

If there were some sure fire way to make a supermarket fun, then sure. But I think it is too likely to be a letdown.

Edit: A game mechanic in the market would be to make each aisle its own color for our main character to blend into to hide from a rampaging boss that is otherwise too strong to beat. The catch is - this boss doesn't hurt our protagonists until they've transformed into some other creature, through magic, that cannot change color! Now that you are stuck as one color, it makes it a lot harder to hide from this boss. This boss can only be hurt by doing X which is on the other side of the level - so the trick is to run as fast as possible into the same colored aisles to hide from the boss.

But, that's overcentralizing a mechanic to the stage I think. If this was in the larger scheme of a city, maybe it could work out.
Last edited by Exaskryz on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 am

Yeah a humans house would be better than a supermarket. Each room different. Suppose a supermarket would be very samey.

Piet

Postby Piet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:52 am

BK --> Treasure Trove Cove
BK: GR --> Cliff Farm
BT --> Terrydactyland
BK: N&B --> Banjoland
PU --> A Wild Wild West world, a Sky world and a Jungle world.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

MFWolfe

Postby MFWolfe » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 am

Trains man. Train stages are always the best. Paper Mario: TYD's train stage is wonderful. Something about the aesthetics of a train cart really works for me.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:51 pm

I love trains too, but I would want it to be part of the level, not just on its own. It could fit with a lot of themes, too. I know what we're all thinking, Banjo-Tooie already did this, but I feel like we missed out on the high-octane experience of riding on a train, and even running said train. There's so much more they could do with it.

theballaam96

Postby theballaam96 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:41 pm

Banjo-Kazooie
Gobi's Valley. Seemed a bit fresh for me, and different. Plus it's a desert, so not a lot of water to swim in, so positives!

Banjo-Tooie
Hailfire Peaks. Yet again, seemed fresh, and little water!

Project Ukelele
Someone suggested an Australian Level with TY-like over-the-topness, I'm happy with that suggestion! :D

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 pm

I always loved Jolly Rodger's Lagoon. It was a cute town near the see (well, in B-T it looked rather like a deep lake, :lol: ) that seemed like a real place. I loved strolling around and just enjoying the atmosphere in this one. But after a short time, I've seen enough and had to dive down in the water...

If Project Ukulele took that idea & expanded it, I would be so happy! Of course, they can put a larger chunk of the level outside the town, but it would be awesome if they could fill the town itself with many buildings and unique NPCs to make the player "enjoy his stay" till he goes on an adventure in this world. Of course, like in Jolly Roger's Lagoon, the music takes a huge part of this relaxing strolling. 8-)

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:41 pm

Click Clock Woods was just a beautiful stage. I will never forget raising the eagle and seeing him flying off.

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 pm

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 pm

Click Clock Woods. Clever design. Great music.

sipahi

Postby sipahi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 am

i love the rusty bucket bay, for its music, and this level was not that easy inside the boat ;)

jolly roger's lagoon for the music ^^ the little town and it's double world with the atlantis, amazing like you say

other wise click clock wood was smart with the four seasons and the mayaham temple ^^ nice first levle, nice music, nice golden statue, nice mini game ^^

aaand Grunty's lair !

sipahi

Postby sipahi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:23 am

Wanted theme for Project Ukulele ?

a level quasi only on the top of the tree, exotic trees, with a lot of beautiful birds where you really don't have to fall ;) between the darkness and so many colours :)

i hope there will be day time and night time in Project Ukulele, to have such a cute picture in my eye when i play, things to do by night and things to do by day ^^

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”