Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pgcrooner

Re: Things that you DO NOT want in this game.

Postby Pgcrooner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't want
- always (or periodically, or at any time at all) online
- dlc
- weapons

Cronid

Postby Cronid » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 pm

A rap.

hjort

Postby hjort » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Chris Pratt. I like the man, but I mean, he's in friggin' everything these days.

Can't think of anything that I don't want, but might potentially make it into the game at this point. I'm just interested in seeing what Playtonic's got planned, really.

Krockhead

Postby Krockhead » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:02 pm

I don't know, man, Chris Pratt would make an excellent Pawno.

hjort

Postby hjort » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:07 pm

Gah! Don't give them any ideas, Krockhead! These British developer types are very impressionable. Like cockatoos or small children.

Punksthetic

Postby Punksthetic » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 pm

The first thing that I DON'T want to see in this game can be summed up by Super Mario Galaxy... I don't like how every level is essentially forgettable, because there's a hundred of them, and yet they all boil down to the same generic themes. I think it's also because the levels are filled with so much disparate STUFF that you don't even feel like you're exploring a "place" anymore. It's just hopping from one round object to another round object.

The 2nd thing I DON'T want in this game is a linear experience (another reason Galaxy annoys me). You go through the level at exactly the pace they want you to, and there's really no exploration or veering off that path and creating your own experience via exploration. That's what I want brought back from Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie. It's important to preserve that open-world experience.

The 3rd thing I DON'T want in this game is lettuce. Just... screw lettuce. Also, flat tires.

The last thing I DON'T want in this game is VR. I know someone talked about that in the video conference, and unless it's like a small feature for a 2nd player, I'd rather not have that feature at all. It's pointless for this type of gaming experience as far as I'm concerned. Just give me a controller and let me look at the screen and make the little guy (or girl) jump.

Cube

Postby Cube » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Tidus1117

Postby Tidus1117 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:14 pm

No cars or building cars. Like Nuts and Bolts
No first person shooter style games. Like in Banjo Tooie.

Anything else is welcome!!
Just follow the same formula as Banjo Kazooie! :)
Huge hub world with secrets, that connects to all the levels/worlds
Also a secret world omly opened after beating the game. That would be sweet!

Yoshi

Postby Yoshi » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm

clanker

Postby clanker » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:25 am

This is kind of a hard question because I have so much faith in the development of this game. Most of it seems like no-brainer stuff, like I don't want microtransactions and I don't want it to veer too hard into other genres (lookin' at you, Nuts & Bolts).

I don't want to see minigames that rely on button mashing, though. And I could really live without female characters being saddled with comically large boobs and jokes about that kind of thing (the bikini girl at the end of B-K, the sunflower in Conker's, etc).

I guess one more thing is sometimes a problem with collecting/exploration games is the worlds get too sprawling and have not enough content in them so you just spend a lot of time walking from A to B. I don't think that will happen here, though.

MazLad

Postby MazLad » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:30 am

This might be a bit controversial, but I don't want to see Kickstarter content included such as fans "name an NPC", "name a level" etc. I'd rather they just made their game their way.
"Shanley, do you think Donkey Kong Country revolutionised gaming?"
"Yeah mate, I think it probably did"

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 am

Not a one single bad-decent water level. I really didn't like the swimming parts of Clanker's Caverns as they were just monotonous and tedious with no real satisfying value to it. Jolly Roger's lagoon looked nice, but just cupcake that water level's tedious stuff. I hate Jolly Roger's water gameplay more than I do Labyrinth Zone. They should just instead make it possible to platform water parts of the game instead of swim. That would be much better.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:56 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 am

Last edited by Taylor on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylonic Ltd.

lavamario

Postby lavamario » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:03 am

weebbby

Postby weebbby » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:47 am

I don't want too much of an expanse and I don't want to warp out of the world after a major collectible.

LankyKong

Postby LankyKong » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 am

I knew this would happen. But it is very subjective on what should or not be in the game. For instance I love the character switching in DK64. And I love the backtracking in tooie.

Switching in DK 64 isn't perfect considering the arbitrariness on where the character barrels are located, but it could have definitely of been improved. And for tooie, the game was essentially Metroid. It isn't really backtracking its just all in the thrill of adventuring. If backtracking was eliminated you would end up with a very linear game, and we gotta to avoid that.

For something that shouldn't be in the game, I'm certainly not a fan of the very separated levels in Nuts and bolts. I loved finding secret paths in tooie and how to solve puzzles you would need to solve puzzles in other areas, or you would need to do something in a later place that can effect an earlier place. So really I hope the games areas aren't segregated.

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 am

A forced tutorial, and or pesky "Navi" character.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”