The World Ideas

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

What kind of worlds do you want in the game?

Your typical worlds (Jungle, Desert, Ice, Sky)
23%
Abnormal, outrageous worlds (Kingdom, Underwater Glassdome)
32%
Whatever works!
41%
Should I care?
5%

Total votes: 22

Quartzy

The World Ideas

Postby Quartzy » Sun May 03, 2015 10:46 pm

I think the worlds in this game would be BEAST, so I thought up some world designs and names.

Jumbled Jungle
The world we first saw. I don't really have any ideas since we've seen what it will be like, but the boss would probably be some type of inorganic monster, since there's a temple.

Chilly Chasm
The ice world we've seen in the artwork. There will probably be a whole bunch of slides, cliffs, and ice, and perhaps it snows constantly? :O You might need to help someone from freezing, and they'll give you a pagie, or get someone's items from one point to another. The boss would be a yeti?

Undersea City
Instead of your usual water level, I want a world where it's a city underwater, with glass domes surrounding the city. It would be like those places in large aquariums, where you can walk down a hall of glass and seeing animals swim around. That would be sick to explore, especiall if you go into outskirts of the city to venture off. Also, I would want a squid boss, not a fish one.

Cursed Keep
Your horror world! I suspect ghosts and paranormal activity here. Maybe the pagies make the world expands downwards, discovering the secret behind the ghosts. MAYBE a ghost boss?

Taxing Toybox
Okay, I would LOVE for this world to be in the game, because it could be made up of building blocks, and since you expand the worlds, it would be such a great idea to make it as if it were Lego blocks! A giant toy soldier that commands the toys into seneseless war with eachother could make an interesting boss.

Stellar Sanctuary
The sky world. Imagine a beautiful view of the night sky and exploring and expanding this giant world with an observatory that unlocked different rooms for pagies. I don't have an idea for the boss at all, except perhaps a giant bird?

What'd ya think?
The green acrobat duo is coming soon...

TheHeartMan

Re: The World Ideas

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 10:50 pm

I appreciate the heck out of these ideas, but I know there's already another massive thread geared towards generating level ideas and discussion. Pretty sure you can find the link in the "List o' Ideas" thread.

Quartzy

Postby Quartzy » Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 pm

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:54 pm

I just voted "whatever works". I'd like a nice mix of typical worlds and stranger worlds, actually, but since there are only going to be 5 worlds in the game, I guess that might be too much to ask for.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

TheHeartMan

Postby TheHeartMan » Sun May 03, 2015 10:55 pm

Captain_Glen

Postby Captain_Glen » Mon May 04, 2015 3:16 am

My Favorite World from Banjo Kazooie was Click Clock Wood. I'd really like to see a world with multiple seasons that require travelling through different seasons to solve the puzzles.

DK64 also had a night and day world. However I didn't like this as much as you simply used a metal pad to change the time. In fact I thought DK64 was inferior to Banjo Kazooie as a lot of stuff was activated by stepping on pads. This detracted from the immersion of the game and IMHO was lazy game design.

I felt that Banjo Kazooie seemed like a real word with real characters. Click Clock Wood more so than other levels because you could see how NPCs' lives changed from season to season. I really wanted to help the NPCs to get the Jiggies whereas DK64 seemed boring by comparison.

I'd be happy to see night and day puzzles, season puzzles and even weather puzzles. But I'd like to see something move immersive and believable than hitting a pad to change the time / season / weather! Maybe Voodo / witchcraft? A time-master? Even a snow machine / rain maker? So long as it's more than a butt-stomping switch. In fact I'd like to see very few butt-stomping switches.

Quartzy

Postby Quartzy » Mon May 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”