About the artstyle.

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

What artstyle would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:48 pm

"Classic" Rare artstyle
53%
New cartoon artstyle
20%
I really do not care
27%

Total votes: 66

wwwarea

Re: About the artstyle.

Postby wwwarea » Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 pm

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Sat May 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Speaking for myself... The tree leaves and bushes in the jungle world look like something out of Donkey Kong Country... So to me, that's Rare's style right there.
ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Fri May 22, 2015 3:53 pm

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Fri May 22, 2015 8:49 pm

YL will have the n64 shader mode for all classic cravings, I trust in Playtonic and their capabilities to get the classic feel down with more modern art. We'll just have to wait for more screenshots.
Anyway, seeing as Playtonic adds the n64 shader mode it tells us they know people like their classic style.

Basically it's already taken care of :p

Edit: my concern here is that people are afraid of change, letting nostalgia talk more in this case. Sticking to everything that was once great.

Truly, have trust in Playtonic and have faith in the n64 shader mode.
Stop picking your nose

xiriusnoodles

Postby xiriusnoodles » Sat May 23, 2015 1:43 am

I'm currently satisfied by the artstyle shown in the concept art, but I think that the OP has a valid criticism on the "plastic" look in the early screenshots. Still, I feel that this flaw can be fixed through a change in lighting and the shininess of the shaders, rather than a shift in overall artstyle, as the OP suggests. For example, observe this screenshot of caverns from early Yooka-Laylee development:

And this screenshot of the recent Jungle World at night:

Lighting makes a huge difference, doesn't it? The environments look less manufactured and more handcrafted, when it gets darker, since there isn't as much light reflected off of the models. Since the shaders' reflectivity was reduced, the environments look more like clay, or paper. Given that the game takes place in the context of storybooks, I can understand why the artists would go in this direction. Just have patience, and I'm sure Yooka-Laylee can be a work that stands on its own from Banjo-Kazooie, despite being inspired by it. That's what a spiritual successor should be, after all.

Typo

Postby Typo » Sat May 23, 2015 4:37 am

not bad

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 am

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am

Stop picking your nose

wwwarea

Postby wwwarea » Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 am

Lugbzurg

Postby Lugbzurg » Sat May 23, 2015 7:16 pm

I thought something seemed plasticy about that jungle world, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. You absolutely nailed it. That's what seemed off. Personally, I would rather see a textureblend effect used throughout the game. Super Mario Galaxy is one example of a game NOT using it, though I have also heard similar complaints about Sonic: Lost World in largely the same way.

I would prefer to see it with this blend effect. Considering neither Mario nor Sonic are using it, this could be an extra point to help make it stand out.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”