Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
bansheeghost

Re: Toybox feedback & discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Postby bansheeghost » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:26 pm

The only thing I noticed from the Toybox that I wish was in the game was ways of exiting the roll in mid-air more quickly to use moves like ground pound or hover. I know it's possible to get out of while dropping from greater heights to hover, but I think it would be really cool to be able to do it almost anywhere so you don't have to break momentum. You're rolling along, jump to get some distance, and then hover to keep your horizontal distance going. It could make for some fun platforming challenges too.
boo

Octopeart

Postby Octopeart » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:56 pm

I played the Toybox for the first time in a while this weekend. With the amount of times that the spring jump is used just in the Toybox, I can really see that sound effect becoming grating. In the Capital Cashino trailer, we also hear the sound that the charged roll move makes, and, in my opinion, it's even worse and more on-the-nose than the spring jump sound. It's especially confusing that so many of the sound effects are so great (bridges creaking, different footstep sounds) but some of them stick out and sound like stock effects. It's absolutely a nitpick but I hope they're different in the final game!

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 am

I can't read 17 pages of feedback to figure out if this has already been said, but the camera constantly trying to move behind Yooka and Laylee instead of staying where I want it to stay, N64 Banjo-Kazooie style, made me sick in one hour. I've played Banjo-Kazooie entirely, got all puzzle pieces, and never had this problem.

I'm constantly fighting with the camera that always tries to go where it wants instead of where I want. It is sometimes useful, I don't deny it, but it feels like most of the time it's more of a problem than a feature: I think it should be a tad less agressive in trying to position itself. Typically, it's always trying to go behind the characters when they move; but I'm so used to BK that I'm fine if it's not behind me, and I'm always trying to move it back, which makes fast, sickening (literally) camera movements on the world.

Other than that, the toy box is wtf omg bbq. It is so good to feel this gameplay and to hear the mastery of David Wise and Grant Kirkhope. I have a HUGE respect for these musicians, and all DKC (Hot-Head Bop, Disco Train), Diddy Kong Racing (Darkmoon Caverns), Banjo-Kazooie (Spiral Mountain), ... are soundtracks that I still listen to regularly today.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 am

I don't like the sound of that^

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Just saw on Twitter that Playtonic replied to someone saying there will be an option to invert the camera X axis in the final game!
https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/stat ... 4795097094

This was an issue that several people mentioned when the Toybox was first released, so glad to see they took the feedback into account and added the option. Hopefully it means they took into account the other camera problems people had, and have improved those for the final game as well.

BerryBarry94

Postby BerryBarry94 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:04 am

My feelings for the game are pretty good right now, But I would love to have an option for camera rotation sensitivity. And I much prefer the direct overhead view for the enclosed puzzles.

BerryBarry94

Postby BerryBarry94 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:03 am

I was playing for a while and for some reason the way the camera works really throws off how I play. I'm the type of player that uses both sticks constantly, moving the camera almost non-stop. The way the camera works standard with that almost soft-lock kinda deal that follows the characters as you move them with the left stick really kinda makes it feel like it was made for an N64 controller with only one stick. So far the game feels good, but this is definitely my biggest problem with the game so far. Hopefully some kind of option to not have the camera lock on the left stick motion and camera sensitivity option would be really appreciated. I have faith in the developers to make this game super great. Hopefully I'm not the only one that the way the camera works throws off, I don't really want to be too much of a downer. d--(o-O)--b

TheRealSkyle

Postby TheRealSkyle » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:49 pm

Greetings!

Yooka-Laylee newbie here (yet a follower of the Rare cult since DKC).

I've just recently pre-ordered the game and gone through the Toybox demo, managing to grab 96 of the quills before resorting to shameful youtubing to get the final 4 (darn hidden side-platforms!).

So yeah, Inept told me to drop by and give my feedback, so here I am.

Regarding the aspect of bringing back the classic Banjo feel, YES - you guys nailed it! But c'mon, we expected nothing less from the creators ;)

Regarding some gameplay aspects:

- The top-down view of some areas is well executed and overall the camera view gets its job done fairly well. I did notice, however, some camera instability when jumping from platforms on walls (trying to get a clear sideways view between platforms) as well as from hovering platforms (having miscalculated my landing more than once due to the camera not panning out correctly);

- Also had some difficulty with swimming - it's not as smooth as in BK, mainly due to having a button to submerge and another to emerge as opposed to steering up or down with the stick. Also, will the final game have an option to swim faster by tapping a button?

- Yooka's rolling ability takes some time to get used to, as it is a bit too fast and makes wide turns, but it may just be a case of getting the hang of it in the end;

- Frameskip isn't so smooth (I'm playing in an Xbox One) especially when concerning backgrounds;

- Would perhaps suggest another button to interact (talk) with NPCs - currently it's the same as the jumping button;

- Mandatory vibration / buzz is a big no-no for me and I couldn't find an option to disable it - would you please include one in the final game?

Hope my feedback has been helpful!
Can't wait for April 11!

Oh, and... can we get more than 5 worlds? :mrgreen:

walteryosmite

Lights, Camera..... Camera?

Postby walteryosmite » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

Hiya! So I was just trying my best to find all I could in Yooka-Laylee's Toybox. I had gotten through quite a bit of it and I kept getting frustrated with the camera. In fact, there was a point that almost amazed me. I was walking towards a bridge. This bridge is the one near the start of the toybox, after you dive underwater and climb up the inside of the structure. That bridge starts with a pole directly next to a wall. Now, as I was walking onto the bridge, I found that my camera managed to actually get stuck between the wall and the pole, successfully pinning itself until I restarted the toybox. I know the original Banjo-Kazooie games didn't have the best camera, however I also kept getting really disoriented when my camera would physically get stuck in the corner of a room and I wouldn't be able to move it whatsoever. I'm sure that's just part of the early access, however I did want to point it out and help if I could.

On a side note. I'm really excited about this game and it makes me really want to go and play Banjo again. Nostalgia for the win, playtonic!

Irrevenant

Postby Irrevenant » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:01 pm

I'd have to say, my only concerns are that there seems to be a little bit of input lag, and Yooka doesn't have animations for pushing things or pressing up against walls.

Well, and that I hope the framerate is better in the full game. But it'd have to be, right?

congressy

Postby congressy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:55 am

played around in the toybox for a few hours over the last 2 weeks, I've enjoyed it quite a bit, really looks to be turning out great. that being said, I have made a list in my head of some of the things I disliked, mostly controls and fluff type dealies, some of which people have already brought up or you may have already fixed in the current build, but any feedback is good feedback (even when it's wrong). So, I give this feedback with love:

- yookah is very fast and very mobile, almost too much so in some instances. mostly because he ends up feeling a bit slippery. I assume this is to work with the larger worlds than older platformers had, to avoid the tedium of walking across a massive field at 3mph.

-yookah can glide very far. VERY far. this is actually one of my larger concerns gameplay-wise. I felt like I was skipping sections and pathways at some points, especially on the elevated bridge inside the main world section and when gliding onto the rolling tower puzzle. It felt like it drastically removed difficulty in the floating platform sections as I could easily glide across and skip large portions, and time my landings near perfectly with little effort. Looking back at older previews it seems you made the change intentionally, or maybe yookah simply has boosted "playtonic" gliding ability in the toybox. either way, if that's base gliding distance, and the level design is roughly equal to what we saw in the demo, I would definitely recommend reducing gliding distance if it's not too late to do that.

-yookah is quite floaty, especially in ball form. I found myself just kind of floating in mid-air in ball form when I held the jump button down, less so in the normal jump but still quite noticeable.

-combat feels a bit loose, but frankly it's not a big deal and most likely not fully implemented and polished when the demo was released anyway.

- there needs to be some form of pushing animation for boxes and barrels and stuff. awkwardly walking into them and hoping the physics moves them properly is incredibly unsatisfying.

- yooka and laylee move around too much during conversations, playing the same animations back to back at some points. feels a bit unnatural. consider increasing the time between the idle animations during conversations.

-there should be an idle animation for ball form, the animation freezes if you don't move and it looks awkward.

that's largely it,

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:03 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 am

^ THIS!
Laylee's 'Flap Move' has a WAY too far reach imho.
I can skip A LOT of blocks in de Toybox+ if I want to reach another part of the island.
This makes some obstacles too easy to overcome, I think.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Oh yes, how could I forget about the talking animations. I've always found it kind of annoying that Laylee goes to sit on Yooka's forehead (which is a cute animation in itself), but only stays there for a second or two...

Irrevenant

Postby Irrevenant » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 am

OH. Forgot one.

The text in speech is very slow, and I was hoping holding X/A/PC-equivalent would speed it up like it did in BK, but in this it just seems to skip it all.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:44 am

persephone

Postby persephone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I like the Toybox for the most part, but is anyone else experiencing a huge amount of input lag on PS4? My TV generally has very minimal lag but with this game I'm getting almost a second of input lag, which makes it close to unplayable

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Looks like someone found a glitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP87QEmTxPg

slammerjam

Postby slammerjam » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Xbox One owner here. As I love the Banjo series and liked the previews I preordered the game and got the Toybox+ code for the Xbox. But I'm just wondering: is the Toybox in any way representative of the final product? The Framerate seems to be quite low and the Input Lag makes it almost unplayable to me. Maybe it's just the Xbox version? Then I could just switch the preorder to PS4/PC or something, but I hope the Xbox version will be good as well...

Dax Schaffer

Postby Dax Schaffer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:03 am

Hello, there. Not sure if this has been commented on here before (there are too many pages to read through), but it's something that stood out to me while playing Toybox again, so I wanted to mention it. I think the camera is great, since it aligns behind you when you press RB (XBOX 360 controller), similar to Banjo-Kazooie's camera on N64. However, something that was not the case in those days were two additional shoulder buttons that also have assigned moves. Since rolling is controlled by holding RT, it feels weirdly cumbersome to me to have to hold both right shoulder buttons with my index and middle finger, just to center the camera behind me while using this ability. It would be nice, if LB could also center the camera while rolling and would feel just a little more balanced. I'm not sure if LB has a use for other moves in the final game though. If it does, then at least an optional control scheme that switches LB and RB's functions would be appreciated. Thank you to any developers that might read this. Really looking forward to the finished game next month!

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”