North American Localization

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
UnholySanctuary

Re: North American Localization

Postby UnholySanctuary » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:10 pm

It doesn't really bother me. In the age of the Interwebs, I've learned to turn my brain's autocorrect feature off. The only thing that trips me up is that we Americans sometimes use a "z" instead of an "s" (localisation vs. localization for example), but only SOMETIMES. It's really annoying :lol:

moritasan2040

Postby moritasan2040 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:35 am

UnholySanctuary, I think we at least have rules (?) as to when an S is pronounced like a Z for the words we didn't change. It seems if it's at the end of a word and there's a silent E afterward, the S is pronounced like a Z. For example, 'cheese'. However, people are VERY stupid, and becuz of this we DO have some...highly unneeded exceptions like 'goose' which USED to be spelt 'goos' till some-one decided to add a silent E (likely a misspelling)... Oh, and if it's a pluralizing S, its pronunciation is dependent on whether the previous sound is voiced or not (example: 'kits' versus 'kids').

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:41 am

Even if you 'localized' it, the dialogue will still contain loads of British references and, in some cases, prosody. Just look at the way Kartos speaks in the gameplay footage.

What's the point? You may as well keep the British spellings as you can't escape the British dialogue quirks anyway.
Taylonic Ltd.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”