Making the Switch

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!

How does the Wii U version's Cancellation affect you?

Happy
19%
Disappointed
19%
Angry
11%
Doesn't affect me/Pledged for non-Nintendo version/Was gonna get a Nintendo Switch anyway
51%

Total votes: 57

moon.sarito1

Re: Making the Switch

Postby moon.sarito1 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 pm

Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian and I'm using Google Translate

The Wii U Version has been canceled to be released on the Switch, This came like a bomb to me.

I bought my Wii U in September and one of the reasons to have acquired the console was precisely because of this game, I WANTED TO TAKE THIS GAME IN LAUNCH

I took advantage of the fact that the Wii U was not priced so expensive compared to the others (but even so, for us Brazilians where the price of the dollar is absurd and where Nintendo does not give a minimum, buy a console '' Next- Gen '' really is not such an easy task) and yes, I knew Wii U would 'die' 'sooner or later but still I was happy with my console because besides being able to enjoy the games it currently has I would be able to play the new Zelda and the Yooka Laylee that I wanted a long time

And that's when I get angry, I will not be able to play the game I wanted, you know ... buying a PC Gamer or a Next-Gen console in Brazil is not easy, so I will not have An option to play this game, But what pisses me off even if you promised the game to the platform, I bought the platform believing that promise... That news that Playtonic was developing the game for Wii U and Team17 porting to the other platforms came as a relief to min, but now... this hope is end

I will not be able to play the game on the Switch because at least the Switch will cost $ 4000 here and since I do not have a PS4 / XONE / PC I will not have any option to play the game, I just wanted to not believe the promise you made and have spent all the money I had on the console, if you were not going to launch the game for Wii U then why did they promise it to the platform? Who supported the Kickstarter in hand?

Well ... I hope you can understand even with Google translator, I wanted to play the game on Wii U and I'm Brazilian, I do not make much money and the dollar is expensive so I will not have any other choice but to stop playing the game. Game I wanted and really ... I was very disappointed to see that you promised something and they just came back at the last minute ...

cupcake the Switch, the way Nintendo treats Brazil probably will not have it until 2020 or 2021, I wanted to play Yooka-Layle on my Wii U, have fun playing the game as I did in Banjoo times on Nintendo 64 .. .

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 pm

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Mariokun

Postby Mariokun » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Minutes after the news of the Wii U's version cancellation I required the refund.
I want my money back and I hope it will not takes too long.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:03 am

Well here we go, a wall of text. I'll try to make this easy to read. Bare with me.
The anger is completely justified, but I believe jumping to the conclusion that Playtonic intentionally deceived Wii U owners, calling them scammers and scumbags is very unreasonable. They were going to make Yooka Laylee anyway even if the Kickstarter failed. Looking at the game and the attention to detail it has, it's still a labour of love.

Throughout the past near-two years, this sudden announcement of the Wii U version's cancellation is Playtonic's first and only big mistake so far. One mistake in two years is better than how Comcept did with Mighty No. 9 in that amount of time.
If they were to deliberately lie to us about a Wii U version, they would have announced a cancellation far sooner, I reckon. The fact they told us about the Wii U version's fate only 4 months before release (which is not very long until the game goes gold) only proves to me they did everything they could to get it to work. They held off on telling us until they were sure it wasn't possible. With such little time anyway, there wasn't much time left to tell us, but they didn't have much choice at this point.

They worked on Nintendo systems in the past and shown loyalty to Nintendo and expressed gratitude to Nintendo fans several times during the campaign, in segments and interviews over the course of development, hence why the Wii U version was getting the most attention. What makes you think they'd just kick it away like a nut on the footpath? Being a Nintendo fan myself, I'd be reluctant too!

Would it have been better to let us know of Wii U problems beforehand, or explained the situation a bit more in the latest update? I suppose, but I don't think things would be much better if they did. There would still be concern and disappointment, and there may still be anger. People will still want their money back. Backers who don't have another system to play the game on won't be able to play it anyway. Nobody wins, regardless of the timing.

Playtonic says the cancellation is due to technical problems, but a lot of people are accusing that as PR fluff and assume it's because the Wii U is dead and putting it on the Switch guarantees a better profit. Hm, I'm pretty sure at this point, if the Wii U version was going well, they would put it on both systems if they wanted to maximise these profits, especially since most people (not just backers) wanted the Wii U version. But the Wii U is too hard to develop for, so they can't. Hell, they are offering refunds for anyone dissatisfied with the project! They're going to be losing money now. The thought that Playtonic are greedy and would deliberately betray Wii U owners in spite of potential financial loss is dumb. What's the benefit in doing that? The staff has been in the industry for up to 30 years. Why would they stoop to such lows all of a sudden?

It's natural to feel Playtonic have completely botched it big time thanks to Mighty No. 9, so now backers are panicking that this is yet another Mighty No. 9 situation. Rubbish. Yooka Laylee is NOT comparable to that fiasco. Not yet anyway. I could write a whole list of screw-ups that game did during its campaign, from the art-style shift, to huge delays, poor communication by Dina Karam and outright insulting the fans (the Masterclass trailer). And as far as I know, no refunds were issued to the backers, nor have many of the Kickstarter rewards have been sent. Mighty No. 9 looked worse and worse the closer it got to release, and it is now seen as a mediocre product.
Yooka Laylee on the other hand looks better than it did when it was first shown. Playtonic offering refunds for disappointed backers is admirable. And the game still looks awesome and competently made and more honest compared to Mighty No. 9 and most tryhard Triple-A garbage oversaturating the market. I've yet to see how Playtonic will handle the Kickstarter rewards, so I am holding on to them that.

Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. This is the only mistake they've done so far (ignoring the minority who complain about the Shovel Knight cameo :P ) Let's wait until they do a few more mistakes during this game's development before we accuse them of deception.

Now after all this, I won't be typing for a while. I'm exhausted.

Exaskryz

Postby Exaskryz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:50 am

Woaaaah, it finally came out! :o

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:41 am

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:06 am

Last edited by WyvernWings on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:29 am

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 am

I just figured it all out.

They did a "Stop 'n Swop"
Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:28 am

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:31 am

Last edited by WyvernWings on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:32 am

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 am

Stop picking your nose

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 am

WyvernWings

Postby WyvernWings » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 am

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:55 am

Last edited by Piet on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:59 am

ShanPen

Postby ShanPen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:31 pm

kaiserpc

Postby kaiserpc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Looking further into the specs for PC - It requires dedicated graphics and 8gb of ram - so that's me out for getting it working on PC :-( So I've requested a refund on kickstarter messager.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”