Cheating/breaking the game to skip segments...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Spydr Webz

Cheating/breaking the game to skip segments...

Postby Spydr Webz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:44 pm

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the developers, and also the fans.

There seems to be several areas in the game where the player can essentially "cheat" to bypass obstacles that they shouldn't be able to yet. There are sometimes pieces of scenery or thin ledges that can be used to scale walls and skip over obstacles, potentially missing something important.

Two areas I can think of include just before entering Hivory Towers and the entrance area in Moodymaze Marsh. In the latter, you can actually "escape" the world's barrier. And it isn't even difficult. Just scale the thin ledges on the back wall. Some players could easily mistake this for the "right way" to do it.

When I come across these areas, I ignore them and look for the "right way," but I don't think I should be given an option. Makes me wonder if I've accidentally skipped anything or "cheated" to obtain a Pagie.

Anybody else come across anything like this? What are your thoughts?

dotEXE

Re: Cheating/breaking the game to skip segments...

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I say keep em in. They'll be used in speedruns.
Make the forum great again.

Spydr Webz

Postby Spydr Webz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:11 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Generally I'd agree fixing bugs would be good but, using the area in front of Hivery Towers for example, if a bug takes way more effort than the intended path (to a beginner) I'd say leave it in. If the above is the example I think it is at least. I tried about ten times to run up the railing next to the "slide ramp" in the tutorial zone and always fell off the railing into the green muck. I feel like most beginners would just go left, learn to crouch, learn to swim, and learn to tail attack instead of trying to run on the thin railing.

Yavga

Postby Yavga » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:39 pm

There are so many good hiding spots in the map, taking some effort to scale and they put the "elusive" collectibles in the most obvious of places XD

Yeah, getting to the top of stuff became rather fun, but damn those invisible walls!

I think Playtonic kinda did the Moodymarsh one on purpose, seems too obvious to miss. I mean, you can conplete tge challenge in a different way beyond cheating and it would still not be the supposed way.
Stop picking your nose

Thrix

Postby Thrix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 am

I actually jumped and attacked in the air to skip the slippery slope before Hivory towers and thus skipped the tutorial section. I found a bunch of minor skips while playing, actually, and it gave me a kick to figure those out. Don't feel like they detracted from the game so I'd say leave them in. Lots of places that would've been perfect for those though. Ah well, those were still fun to find. I especially enjoyed that one quill in Tribalstack tropics where I could practically hear the devs snicker.

Natsu

Postby Natsu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 am

I actually really favor this kind of game design. I discovered that you could get up the slope before entering Hivory Towers immediately by just messing around on the railing. I love little speedrunner tricks like that. I also don't agree that there should necessarily be a "right" way to do things in a game like this. I definitely fought the third boss much earlier than the game wanted me to by cheesing the ledges in that level, and I loved it. I love having multiple ways to achieve things in games. Whether they are intentional or not is completely irrelevant and doesn't change how much fun it is to have things like this.

Ciro

Postby Ciro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:16 am

Unless they interfere with normal gameplay, I agree to keep em in.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 am

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Actually Banjo Tooie has something almost exactly like that. Any% DCW. It just becomes a new category.

Any% and then Any% No DCW. So I could imagine YL having 100% / Any% / Any% No OOB. Luigi's Mansion has those exact categories.

Edit: YL Any% category is already down to 52 minutes.

Piet

Postby Piet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:28 pm

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”