Is 5 Worlds Enough?

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
soulstorm64

Is 5 Worlds Enough?

Postby soulstorm64 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 am

Hello everyone, after playing through most of the game simultaneously in 2 consoles "close to the Capital B boss fight" and really like most on these forums am enjoying the game but really feel like it's lacking in the world department. I know the 5 worlds are supposed to feel like they make up for being so sparse in numbers with the vast grandness with the scale, but even then I feel like one sit through and I'm already pretty much done with the game. "Which is why I am playing 2 saves at once"

Does anyone else feel the same way? I just really hope for a 3 world or maybe 2 world DLC when they fulfill the DLC Pledge instead of more mini games

Thrix

Re: Is 5 Worlds Enough?

Postby Thrix » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 am

Yeah I can see what you mean. It didn't bother me too much since the game is still longer than the likes of BK and has much more fleshed out worlds, but there's also the consequence of having less variety when it comes to environments. I still feel that Tooie did this best by having more worlds that were all varied and very fleshed out.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am

I'm not sure. The worlds are definitely big enough to keep you occupied for a long time, but I do miss changing things up. There were times I would get bored of the world theme after an hour or so and wanted to see a different colour palette to make things feel fresh.

I think I want a lava world for the DLC.
Taylonic Ltd.

Scraps69

Postby Scraps69 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:17 am

You must have a lot of time on your hands ha

ontels

Postby ontels » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Also keep in mind that this was a small teams first game together!

I'm sure whatever they come up with next will be even bigger.
Pagies in cagies

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm

I feel like the levels are big enough to justify their count. Though I wouldn't say no to a 6-8 world Twoka-Laylee.
Make the forum great again.

Monobrobe

Postby Monobrobe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Honestly, I'm with the OP. I feel like I breezed through the game and saw just about everything there is to see. Maybe I feel a bit dissatisfied because I didn't exactly like the themes/designs of some of the worlds. That's not to say they're BAD worlds... But I just kinda wanted to see more, you know? But there are so many people complaining that the worlds are too big and empty, and want more Banjo-Kazooie-sized worlds, and I prefer the large worlds we got.

I know Playtonic won't cater to my desires, but it still bothers me that people want smaller worlds with no backtracking. What's wrong with backtracking? I think it's better to revisit worlds because then you don't just see them one time and move on to the next. It's a collect-a-thon, right? So shouldn't backtracking be kind of a given?

I think a good compromise would be having entire areas being inaccessible until you get certain moves. That way you're not just backtracking through the same thing, but rather something new.

Of course, I completely understand this is Playtonic's first game. It's just that they're probably not going to work on Yooka-Laylee 2 right away, and I'd like to see more of it. I like playing as a chameleon and a bat. Not to mention it's gonna take a couple more years for them to release another game.

dotEXE

Postby dotEXE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Gamers are lazy these days. When I used to see people say that I thought it couldn't really be the case, someone must just be shouting "back in my day", but it's the truth. They want giant gold arrows pointing towards waypoints and they want everything handed to them by the game. I saw a reviewer complaining they had to collect things at all. One person I saw complaining that you have to learn the moves.

TOO BAD KIDS THAT'S WHAT WE WANTED! And again, I'm beating a dead horse by now but anybody saying those types of things is MISSING THE POINT!
Make the forum great again.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I'd rather have smaller worlds but more of them. 5 world's isn't enough for me personally and the world's In yooka laylee are too big for me.

BanjoThreeie

Postby BanjoThreeie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:09 pm

I think more world variety is important, and if that means making the world smaller, then I think it's a good trade.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:16 am

PandaLover

Postby PandaLover » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Im actually not having a hard time getting my bearings and remembering where things are in the world, although many reviewers complained about it. The different locations are fairly distinctive so they arent hard to remember. But I do see how some people could have a hard time with it.

I think in part the reason they created 5 worlds is due to a lack of time spent on the game and resources. I mean given they are independent they can spend as much time as they want, maybe they just wanted to get the game out of the way so they could start work on a game they actually want to make. If you create 10 worlds, it takes longer because you have to create a complete set of Art Assets for each world and that takes a long time. Its not about the size of the world, obviously if they made 10 worlds they would be much smaller, the actual land area of all the worlds would be the same as with 5.

ontels

Postby ontels » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm

They can't spend as long as they want making a game, they have to get paid!
Pagies in cagies

soulstorm64

Postby soulstorm64 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I know that they had a small team, and to be honest each world size seems fine to me. its just that 5 themed worlds is a bit uneven. either way the game is great and really i don't see any of the problems that these reviewers are talking about with the level sizes. But i do not doubt we will see something interesting with the DLC that comes out that will possibly extend it a bit longer.

But i agree with Tyler a lava world for the DLC alone would be nice :)

FailureFactory

Postby FailureFactory » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:13 pm

yooka-dragon

Postby yooka-dragon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 am

Exclusive Website on Yooka-Laylee, News rumors and complete wiki and walkthrough on Yooka-Laylee.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”