A More positive reception...

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Pgcrooner

A More positive reception...

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 am

Anybody noticing that Yooka-Laylee seems to have more positive reviews and that perception has changed a bit more towards the positive?

Yooka-Laylee was received fairly well on the switch, and it seems to have mostly positive reviews on Steam. I look at videos like the trailer for the impossible and I notice a lot of commenter who have said they just got the game and they love it, and don't understand why the critics were so harsh.

After the announcement of the impossible lair, I started another playthrough of Yooka-Laylee. As of the time of this writing I just beat it again with my best time yet. I have to say, despite a the issues that I have posted on the forum with the first game, my experience gets better with every playthrough. After watching the development commentaries on the game and hearing about what the team learned developing the first title, I legitimately am stoked for their next 3D adventure when ever that becomes a reality. Until then I'm anxiously waiting for Yooka-Laylee and the impossible Lair. I know they dont want us to compare it to DKC and I can definitely see the differences in the overall gameplay, but I cant help but want to play Tropical Freeze next! XD

Anyway, I got off track and was wondering if you guys have notice people warming up to the original game?

Scrubber

Re: A More positive reception...

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I think it has had fixes and improvements since launch so it will play better.

Pgcrooner

Postby Pgcrooner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:31 pm

I will say my backer copy on the switch played more comfortably than the one I bought for my Xbox one several months before. It’s just nice to see people giving the game a fair shake. It’s not without its problems, but I still believe it’s a good game that the critics were way too harsh on.

Scrubber

Postby Scrubber » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:28 pm

I don't believe they were too harsh. The game didnt live up to expectations and it definitely fell short.

Having said that, it wasn't playtonics fault, they were under staffed, limited on time and (being a new company) going through teething problems.

I think the only way is up from here and I believe their games will get better and better.

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”