JonTron in Project Ukelele

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Aussie Legend

Re: JonTron in Project Ukelele

Postby Aussie Legend » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:10 am

If its just a little small role (like maybe the potential VO tier in the kickstarter) then I don't really have a problem with it, I imagine he'll be driving a lot of traffic to the kickstarter so its' all g.

EDIT: I mean in gibberish speak of course, cause obviously the whole game will be gibberish
Last edited by Aussie Legend on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MetroAndroid

Postby MetroAndroid » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 am

JonTron "ECH" gobble-de-gook speak would be a way to do it without it being too forced.

SM64Guy

Postby SM64Guy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:13 am

Jon's the best. He has to do a voice.

polomi

Postby polomi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:25 am

I'm part of those who'd like a pure experience without the stain of cameos or fans. I mean, the devs probably have an artistic vision of the game, and they should put no constraints on that vision. That's why I'm bothered by people like JonTron voicing characters. The reason he's offered to voice is probably not that his voice perfectly matches what the artists imagined as a voice for a character, but rather because of who he is. As evidenced by the fact that in the interview, they said that he could probably voice anyone in the game.

hjort

Postby hjort » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:57 am

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:16 am

sure him doing some voice acting could be cool but i would love a jacque outfit for the "bird" character or a character/boss based on jacque! XD lol just my 2 cents :P

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:23 am

I don't mind if Jon voices a character. I don't watch his stuff, but I have seen it and he's a funny guy with a large fan base. My thinking is -- why not? Sure, don't let everyone voice a character, but Jon is a bit of a special exception I don't mind happening.

He's not going to singlehandedly ruin the entire game with just one voice! :P
Taylonic Ltd.

Dovla

Postby Dovla » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 am

another vote for not including JonTron...my initial reaction was "sure why not" but when you think about it long term it just doesn't make sense. I'm a big fan of JonTron, I've watched all his videos on both his channel and on GameGrumps and I really like his humor but I don't think he would do the game any credits.

If anyone here played quacamelee then you've probably seen a ton of advice animal memes in the game. It was funny when the game came out because they were current. If you play the game now it just looks so cheap and outdated. I don't want the same thing to happen to this game. It's fine when a game like South Park references current events because that show is always about social commentary. Project Ukulele shouldn't be about what's current and hip and cool, it needs to be more timeless, just like all the other Rare games of old. Jon is a popular youtuber now sure and I have no doubt that his presence would sell a ton of extra copies, but 5-10 years down the line when you come back to the game it's just gonna look cheap. I want the game to stand the test of time just like BK has. If he has to be in the game then I would prefer it to be a small role, it's one thing if he's actually voice acting but it's quite another if he's just being himself. Also his Hat in time voiceover doesn't convince me that he can do a good enough job at voicing characters in an original way.

Epic Elliot

Postby Epic Elliot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:40 am

eh i thought hi voice acting in a hat in time was pretty good for just one character (was just one character right?) & thats just the alfa/beta no telling what the penguin will do in the final

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Just to clarify for people; The jibberish talk has already been confirmed. He clearly states they will "keep what people already love" and lists "gobbedy goop speaking" during this talk:

https://youtu.be/8ulJeGQ0Krk?t=8m47s

With that in mind, here is how it is most likely going to go down:

You will play the game. Every character talks in nonsense. When you reach the credits you will see "Jon Jafari" listed as a "noise maker" much like in the credits for Banjo-Kazooie.

Now, would that really bother you that much? Would it take you out of the game? Did you ever notice who was playing who in the old Banjo-Kazooie games until they spoke out about it after the games release? It's not like any character has ever been portrayed with the actor's normal speaking voice. You didn't know Grant was playing Mumbo until he started talking about it in interviews about ten years after the game was released. You're most likely not going to notice Jon.

Tarzerix

Postby Tarzerix » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 pm

^Exactly. Lets just stop hating so easily..Jon is one of us after all.

Xellos

Postby Xellos » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm all in favor of letting Jon voice a character in the game. If only to hear some random bird sing .

Alucard

Postby Alucard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:33 pm

For me project ukulele should be without such things (npcs with backer names or voiced by fans) ... no hate.

Kokirie

Postby Kokirie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:48 am

Yeah, I'm also gonna agree with what seems like the majority here. I thought Jon's voice in a Hat in Time was a little cringe-worthy, I'd rather it be done by somebody who can actually voice act. I might be a bit biased though since I'm just not fond of him anyways.

Alph

Postby Alph » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:38 am

I didn't think his voice in AHIT sounded that bad. At least not in the lines he has here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LLx3xsZko

Maybe he has other lines in a later part that are worse, but here he just sounds like a typical NPC voice.

Viellain
Location: The North American Plate on Planet Earth, part of the Solar System within the Milky Way.

Postby Viellain » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 am

DeviWhite

Postby DeviWhite » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:46 am

I would love Jon having a voice in this game! Not only a voice acting bit, but to seek for advice on its creation just like all the rest of us! He's a HUGE fan and supporter of classic Rare games, and knows what makes a good Rare game. Just because he has a bigger fan base and pull than the rest of us doesn't mean we should tear him down from probably the most meaningful project of his career. Also I don't think the team would allow Jon to be a part of the game if they felt he was going to be bad for it in any way. I trust them to do what they know how to do best, and that's making an awesome platformer with wonderful and memorable characters.

PandaBear

Postby PandaBear » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:50 am

I would be fine with Jon doing some mumbling, but probably not real voice acting. My main reason being that hearing a YouTube voice would interrupt my immersion into the game.

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 am

I'm a huge Jontron fan. But, I'd prefer to hear his voice as a sound effect or an animal character. I believe that's his strength and it'll work well with mumbling characters.
Rarewareusedtobegood

Lizard64

Postby Lizard64 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”