JonTron in Project Ukelele

Discussion and feedback for Playtonic's debut game, platformer adventure game Yooka-Laylee!
Rawk

Re: JonTron in Project Ukelele

Postby Rawk » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:35 am

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:41 am

I hear your concerns, but maybe you're irrationally heightening the consequences. I wouldn't suggest letting a fan voice any main character -- not even Jon. A small, whimsical one, however, would be fine. I mean, it'd probably be funnier too. For instance, he could voice a goldfish that taps his bowl three times -- that seems to be a popular character idea around here.

I also wouldn't make it too obvious. Just credit him at the end and leave his voice (which will only be a half-recognisable mumble) as an in-joke to those that know.
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:42 am

I agree with Rawk. Besides, given the voice that JonTron did in A Hat In Time, well it's pretty much his voice and very easily recognizable. When Kirkhope or someone from Rare makes a voice, you don't recognize them and you wouldn't know if it was not in the credits.

The voices in the game should be the character's voices. By that, I mean that it should be the voices that the artists from Playtonic imagine for the characters. I want to be immersed in the universe of the game. I don't want to suddenly come accross a character and recognize his voice as JonTron, that would completely bring me out of the game and back to reality.

I mean, in the unlikely event that a character's voice as imagined by the artists correlate with JonTron's actual voice, then OK. But right now, it doesn't seem that this is the case. People want to hear JonTron in this game because he's JonTron, not because his voice matches that of a character.

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:49 am

As much as I adore Playtonic, I don't think they have this grand idea and plan for every single detail. Voices, I suspect, are just mumbled off-the-cuff (usually by the very talented Chris Sutherland). Jon is a good speaker and has a funny voice; I don't see it ruining the game, or being particularly recognisable without prior knowledge. :roll:

I think the game has quite a bit to gain in terms of publicity by associating with him, actually. Maybe I'm adding too much importance to him though as I genuinely don't follow him or watch his stuff.
Taylonic Ltd.

polomi

Postby polomi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:54 am

siggeplump

Postby siggeplump » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:20 am

Playtonic and Jon like each other simply out of a friendly acknowledgement of their own respective craft. I think they just want to hang out. If they notice a potential backlash to having his name on there I'm sure they will just put him in there under a pseudonym, Michael Jackson style.

These things tend to be blown out of proportion when you stare too closely at these things though. I'm fairly sure the prospects of "ex-Rare employees" and "spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie" outshines "that guy who made the face on the gif on tumblr" unless you're knee-deep invested in the YouTube culture. You might find it obnoxious to have fans geeking out over his presence, but if you don't seek out their community pages and try connecting with Rareware and Banjo fans I'm sure you will come to find it's not that big of a deal that they guy with a robotic parrot coughed into a microphone and had Grant Kirkhope sample it.

Did you know Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac was a fish alien on Star Trek: The Next Generation? Did that poison the craftsmanship behind Star Trek as a whole? Would you even have noticed if you didn't look this up? I'm sure his presence gets obnoxious as hell when I'm hanging out with Fleetwood Mac fans, but you know what, if I find people to be obnoxious I tend to not hang out with them.

Lizard64

Postby Lizard64 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:51 am

karashata

Postby karashata » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:39 am

I don't think I would want JonTron to voice a character at all if we were to get actual spoken dialog in the game, since his voice is way too recognizable and I would have a hard time associating his voice to the character in the game and not to the character from his own show. If it were sampled and tweaked to heck to make up a gibberish voice for a character I don't think I'd mind so much though, since it wouldn't immediately connect as being him.

EekumBokum202

Postby EekumBokum202 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:12 am

ATTENTION PLAYTONIC!
For development "Twoka-Laylee", please watch these:

For everyone else, talk about these videos !

FungiGamer

Postby FungiGamer » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:25 pm

So, I didn't see anyone else outright say it, but Jon has already been confirmed to do a character voice in the game, it was one of the questions made during the G&A during EGX Rezzed a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYIGbqw0R7s

Taylor

Postby Taylor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Taylonic Ltd.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:40 pm

DLC? UGANDA WILL NOT HAVE THIS SICKNESS!

Jellyfunk

Postby Jellyfunk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't understand the JonTron hate. He would bring so much free publicity to Project Ukulele.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Phyreburnz

Postby Phyreburnz » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:56 pm

I really like JonTron and I think it would be absolutely awesome for him to do a voice. I really don't understand all the hate of him. He's really funny and besides, he definitely will promote the game and his fanbase would be more willing to buy the game or help with the kickstarter.

Rueckkoppler

Postby Rueckkoppler » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:29 pm

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:47 am

Nope. Jontron is just a person who continually bashes Rare. He can just get out of the discussion for voice overs. No need to pander to a youtube hater whatsoever.

I think that the devs should just make the game they want and leave the public out of it.
Last edited by Taylor on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boshi

Postby Boshi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 am

The boss of all Yoshis

Shawnsim

Postby Shawnsim » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:10 am

My take is that Playtonic should just make their own game. Leave the fans out of the creative process. Jontron is just a random person.
Who is to say that your ideas are great too?
Or mine. Or everybody else.
Man. I have 20 years invested in Rare games. Does that mean I am entitled?
No. Jontron is an idiot. Unless he ponies up the kickstarter money he is just a voice in the internet that speaks a lot but says nothing of value.

GrayMagicΓ

Postby GrayMagicΓ » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:20 am

Return to “Yooka-Laylee”